At the Annual General Meeting held in September, Barry Watkins (Cabramatta) was elected President of Bowls NSW and Dennis Taylor (Harbord) was elected Deputy President.
Barry has substantial administrative experience with some 34 years in the State Attorney General Department culminating in the Senior Executive Service working with senior politicians, judges, architects and engineers and in bowls administration 14 years as President and 15 years as CEO of Cabramatta Bowling Club. During this time the Club grew from a negative financial position to achieve very positive trading and bowling results. Barry has also served on Clubs NSW as State Councillor, on Zone 12 as Secretary, Bowls NSW State Councillor and Director.
The Board has identified the following agenda going forward:
· Bowls NSW Administration– appoint a consultant forthwith to review the administration to identify/confirm we are providing the correct services/s for our members in a cost-effective manner.
· Bowls Australia– to work with Bowls Australia to achieve more effective outcomes from the resources provided (Bowls Australia membership fees are approximately $545,000pa). To join with Bowls Australia to promote more bowls forums with NSW input; achieve more exposure on the Bowls Show and seek return of the NSW border clubs currently playing for other states.
· Membership– to address declining membership and to consolidate the number of registered bowlers and recapture the benefits of the increasing number of participants.
· Unification– to work with Women’s Bowls NSW to rationalise and unify the two administration to achieve economies of scale and consolidate bowls participation.
· Zones – to work effectively with the 16 Zones to finalise the Strategic Plan and improve communication.
· Forums– to arrange more forums around the State to improve communication, education and cooperation.
· State Match Committee– to improve transparency and mutual support for State programs through interactive forums.
Whilst there is no magic wand to use as a panacea, this Board brings experience, enthusiasm and energy with a willingness to listen, activate and achieve mutually rewarding results.